May 14, 2020
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
I-59/20 Bridge Project Update
(CBD) Central Business District Project
BIRMINGHAM– As construction continues in downtown Birmingham for Interstate Improvements, the Alabama Department of Transportation says drivers should expect delays.
The following closures will take place weather permitting:
- I-59 SB at the Carraway Exit Ramp there will be a single right lane closure, Monday, May 18th from 9 a.m. until p.m. for barrier rail.
- Red Mountain Expressway NB on to I-59 NB there will be a single lane closure, Thursday, May 14th through Saturday, May 16th from 8 a.m. until 5 a.m. to drain hole/overhead sign/attenuator repair.
- Carraway Blvd. from 26th N to 11th Avenue N will be closed Monday, May 18th through Sunday, May 24th from 12 a.m. until 11:59 will be closed for drainage installation.
- 19th Street North from Rev. Abraham Woods to 10th Street will be closed, Thursday, May 14th through Thursday, May 21th from 12 a.m. until 11: 59 p.m. for culvert installation.
- 16th Street between Rev. Abraham Woods and 10th Avenue N will be closed Thursday, May 14th through Thursday, May 21th from 12 a.m. until 11:59 p.m. to install drainage.
- 25th Street S between Rev. Abraham Woods and Richard Arrington Blvd. will be closed Thursday, May 14th through Thursday, May 21th from 12 a.m. until 11:59 p.m. for milling/painting/asphalt patching.
- Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. between Caraway and 28th Street will be closed Thursday, May 14th through Thursday, May 21th from 12 a.m. until 11:59 p.m. for grade/drain/installation.
- Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. between 25th Street and Carraway Blvd. will be closed Thursday, May 14th through Thursday, May 21th from 12 a.m. until 11:59 p.m. for grading and cleanup.
Detour signs will be in place where necessary. Please keep in mind that all construction plans can change due to weather and other factors. As always, use caution and obey the posted speed limits.
This work is a part of the I-59/20 Central Business District (CBD) Interchange and Bridge Replacement Project.
Motorists are requested to consider using alternate routes, adjust arrival/departure times, observe work zone speed limits and other work zone signs, and use extreme caution in this area. ALDOT thanks motorists for their patience during this Construction Operation to improve Alabama’s roadways.