August 13, 2020
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
I-59/20 Bridge Project Update
(CBD) Central Business District Project
BIRMINGHAM– As construction continues in downtown Birmingham for Interstate Improvements, the Alabama Department of Transportation says drivers should expect delays.
The following closures will take place weather permitting:
- 19th Street N from Rev. Abraham Woods to 10th Avenue N will be closed, Thursday, August 13th through Thursday, August 20th from 12 a.m. until 11: 59 p.m. for culvert installation.
- 23rd Street N between Rev. Abraham Woods and 9th Avenue will be closed Friday, August 14th through Tuesday, August 18th for drainage installation.
- 24th Street NB and SB between Richard Arrington Blvd. and Rev. Abraham Woods will be a single right closure Thursday, August 13th through Friday, August 14th from 12 a.m. until 11:59 for curb/gutter/sidewalk.
- Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. between Carraway and 28th Street will be closed Thursday, August 13th through Thursday, August 20th from 12 a.m. until 11:59 p.m. for grade/drain cleanup.
- Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. between 25th Street and Carraway Blvd. will be closed Thursday, August 13th through Thursday, August 20th from 12 a.m. until 11:59 p.m. for drain/curb.
- Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. between Rev. Abraham Woods and 22nd Street N will be closed Tuesday, August 13th through Thursday, August 20th from 12 a.m. until 11:59 p.m. for culvert/drainage/curb/gutter/sidewalk.
Detour signs will be in place where necessary. Please keep in mind that all construction plans can change due to weather and other factors. As always, use caution and obey the posted speed limits.
This work is a part of the I-59/20 Central Business District (CBD) Interchange and Bridge Replacement Project.
Motorists are requested to consider using alternate routes, adjust arrival/departure times, observe work zone speed limits and other work zone signs, and use extreme caution in this area. ALDOT thanks motorists for their patience during this Construction Operation to improve Alabama’s roadways.