January 17, 2020
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
I-59/20 Bridge Project Update
(CBD) Central Business District Project
BIRMINGHAM– As construction continues in downtown Birmingham for Interstate Improvements, the Alabama Department of Transportation says drivers should expect delays.
The following will take place, weather permitting:
I-59 SB and I-20 WB Opening:
- I-59 southbound and I-20 westbound should open to traffic at approximately 9 p.m. Friday, January 17th.
I-59 NB and I-20 EB Opening:
- I-59 northbound and I-20 eastbound should open to traffic Sunday, January 19th at 8 p.m.
- Sunday, January 19th at 6 a.m., ALDOT will close the I-59/20 northbound & I-20 eastbound lanes at the Arkadelphia exit to adjust signs and striping to its final location to facilitate the opening of all lanes to traffic. We expect the closures to last until approximately 8 p.m., at that time the I-59 northbound and I-20 eastbound bridges will be open to traffic.
- Traffic will be detoured (see map) onto Arkadelphia Road north to Finley Avenue east, then to Carraway south, back to I-59 north and I-20 east.
- Traffic to I-65 north and south can enter from Finley Avenue.
- We encourage motorists to use I-459 north instead of I-59 north to I-65 north during this period
Detour signs will be in place where necessary. Please keep in mind that all construction plans can change due to weather and other factors. As always, use caution and obey the posted speed limits.
This work is a part of the I-59/20 Central Business District (CBD) Interchange and Bridge Replacement Project.