January 23, 2019
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
I-59/20 Bridge Project Update
Suggested Detour Routes for I-59/20 Project, in Birmingham
(CBD) Central Business District Project
BIRMINGHAM– As construction continues in downtown Birmingham for interstate improvements, the Alabama Department of Transportation says drivers should expect delays. To lessen the impacts of these delays, motorists should consider adjusting arrival/departure times and all commercial vehicle and through traffic should use I-459.
- All commercial vehicle traffic should use I-459
- Through traffic coming from Gadsden on I-59 S should use I-459 S.
- Through traffic coming from Atlanta on I-20 W should use I-459 S.
- Through traffic coming from Tuscaloosa on I-59/20 N should use I-459 N.
In addition to utilizing I-459 as a detour route, motorists must observe work zone speed limits and other work zone signs and use extreme caution in this area. ALDOT thanks motorists for their patience during this Construction Operation to improve Alabama’s roadways.
For additional information:
- Motorists can receive 59/20 project alerts by texting 5920bridge to 888-777
- Commercial vehicles can receive specific commercial vehicle alerts by texting ALDOTTruck to 888-777