July 12, 2018
(CBD) Central Business District Project
BIRMINGHAM– As construction continues in Birmingham to improve the I-59/20 and I-65 Interchanges, the Alabama Department of Transportation says drivers should expect delays this week.
There will be intermittent lane closures and ramp closures this week on Red Mountain Expressway, I-59/20 Northbound and Southbound as well as I-65 Northbound and Southbound.
I-65 Northbound will have a lane closure from the 16th Street bridge to the Finley Blvd. Exit every day through next Tuesday, July 17th from 8 a.m. until 3 p.m.
Forming and pouring barrier for overhead signs
- Red Mountain Expressway Northbound will be closed North of the 2nd Avenue North exit Thursday, July 12th from 11p.m. until Friday, July 13th at 5 a.m.
- I-59/20 Northbound between Red Mountain Expressway and 31stt Street North will be closed Friday, July 13th from 11 p.m. until 5 a.m., Saturday, July 14th.
Pouring bridge deck
- There will be multiple lanes closed on I-59/20 Southbound between Friday, July 13th at 8 p.m. and Monday, July 16th at 5 a.m.
- Friday, July 13th, 8 a.m. until Sunday, July 15th 11 p.m. to pour barrier rail.
- Friday, July 13th, 8 p.m. until Monday, July 16th, 5 a.m. to patch and repair bridge deck.
- The I-59/20 Northbound ramp to I-65 Southbound will be closed Thursday, July 12th from 11p.m. until Friday, July 13th at 5 a.m.
Work on anchor bolts and paint steel girders
- I-65 Southbound will have a single lane closed between the 16th Street bridge and the 12th Court bridge Friday, July 13th at 7 p.m. until Monday, July 16th at 6 a.m.
Paving the 65 SB tie-in to 17th Street.
- Carraway Blvd. will also be closed between Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. and 12th Avenue North, Thursday, July 12th and Friday, July 13th from 11 p.m. until 5 a.m. the following mornings.
Removing tunnel and installing traffic signal
- Detour signs for all closures will be in place. Please keep in mind that all construction plans can change due to weather and other factors. As always, use caution and obey the posted speed limits.
Message boards and all necessary traffic controls will be in place.
This work is a part of Phase II and Phase III of the I-59/20 Central Business District (CBD) Interchange and Bridge Replacement Project.
Motorists are requested to consider using alternate routes, adjust arrival/departure times, observe work zone speed limits and other work zone signs, and use extreme caution in this area. ALDOT thanks motorists for their patience during this Construction Operation to improve Alabama’s roadways.